Current Students

Writing support

Welcome to writing support! We offer in-person writing appointments and workshops to School of Nursing graduate students and have put together writing resources available to all nursing students.

Please email sonwriting@uw.edu with any questions, comments, or suggestions.

Frequently asked questions

How does writing support work?

Easy. Just email me at sonwriting@uw.edu and I’ll help you figure out what you need and make an appointment when appropriate. I typically ask you to submit what you’re working on just prior to an appointment so I can review it and make some notes. When we’re done meeting, I will email you the draft with my comments or my notes.

Will you edit my paper?

No. My role is to help build your writing skills, and the best way to do that is by having a conversation about your writing where I help you identify points throughout your writing process that can be improved. I will typically use the ‘review’ function to make comments to help you remember what we’ve discussed.

Do I have to be on campus to get help?

NO! I’m happy to meet in person or over the phone or online with Microsoft Teams.

Do you have walk-in appointments?

Not at this time. Sometimes I can accommodate last minutes requests, but will be more limited in the help I can give since I haven’t had time to review your work.

Are your only appointments during the day?

Nope. I’m happy to make an appointment for an evening or a weekend if that’s what you need. I just need advance notice to make sure I have dedicated time.

Is writing support just for class assignments?

Definitely not! Whatever academic or professional writing you are doing, I can help with, including scholarship essays, manuscripts you’re submitting for publication, etc.

Can you help me with my literature search or citation management software?

This expertise lives in the UW libraries and is not the focus of writing support. I will occasionally give pointers, but those areas are outside the scope of the writing RA role.

Writing resources

Contact

Graduate nursing students can set up an appointment for writing services.

• Email: sonwriting@uw.edu
  • Winter 2020 hours: Appointments available on-campus Monday and Wednesday from 10:30 a.m. – 5 p.m., or online on Fridays from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.