Congratulations to our 2021 graduates! We are proud of your achievements and excited to celebrate with you.
This year, we will hold a unique celebration that can be shared with your family, friends, and supporters beginning at 9:30 a.m. Friday, June 11, 2021.
Student and Academic Services and Learning & Information Technologies have partnered to plan a special Convocation virtual ceremony and microsite for this year’s celebration.
Did you graduate before spring quarter?
Complete our online survey to make sure you receive important updates.
Participate in the virtual ceremony
Graduates who want to take part in the virtual ceremony will be asked to RSVP to an online survey, which will be emailed to all graduates in mid-April.
- A photo of yourself from the shoulders up
- Your photo does not have to be in graduation regalia or related to nursing
- Your name as you would like it to appear with your photo
To be included in the virtual ceremony, photos must be received no later than midnight on Sunday, May 16, 2021.
Graduates will receive a link and password to access the ceremony, which can be shared with family and friends.
Ceremony video montage
For our virtual Convocation ceremony, we would love to create a video montage of our nursing graduates with words of support and encouragement for their peers.
You can offer words of congratulations and support, such as:
- “We are amazing!”
- “I’m so proud of my resilient cohort.”
- “Congratulations – we did it!”
To maximize participation, please keep your message to 10 words or less. Please also address comments to your cohort at large (vs. individual peers).
You can submit your final video to firstname.lastname@example.org. Videos must be submitted by May 16, 2021.
- Record your video in landscape/horizontal mode
- Make sure you have a good light source in front of you (i.e., avoid backlighting); if you record outside, make sure you aren’t in shadow
- Record your video using a mobile device or Zoom
- Give yourself about 2-3 seconds of padding before and after your message to allow for smoother editing
- Speak confidently and naturally, as though you are talking with someone
- Practice and record as many times as you want until you’re happy with the final result
- Optional: wear Husky purple or School of Nursing gear (if you have it)!
Submit a photo and messages for the microsite
We are creating a special microsite (e.g., Husky 100) to showcase our 2021 graduates. To participate, we ask graduates to submit:
- A photo of yourself (optional; portrait orientation works best)
- Your project, thesis, or dissertation title, if applicable
- Any of the following:
- A message of thanks (700 characters or less)
- What are your next steps?
- Your favorite memory or moment from your nursing education
- What advice would you give future nursing students?
- Who or what inspired you to pursue a career in nursing?
There is no deadline for submitting information for the microsite. This link and site password will be sent to students close to the day of Convocation.
UW Commencement is a separate ceremony held for all University of Washington graduates each year the day following the School of Nursing Convocation.
For more information about this year’s university-wide ceremony, please visit the UW Graduation website.
Will I be recognized at Convocation if I do not complete the online survey?
We will display the names of all graduates during the ceremony and in the Convocation program whether or not they submit the survey. However, there will be no photo to accompany the name of graduates who do not submit the online survey.
Is graduation regalia required?
No, regalia is not required for the School of Nursing virtual Convocation ceremony.
The Office of Ceremonies strongly encourages ordering regalia if you choose to participate in the larger UW virtual Commencement.
Do I have to participate?
No; participation is completely optional for both the microsite and the virtual ceremony.
Will this cost anything?
Unless you choose to purchase regalia or other items through the UW Office of Ceremonies, there is absolutely no cost to you or any family members who would like to watch the virtual ceremony or view the microsite.
When and where is the virtual ceremony?
The ceremony will take place starting at 9:30 a.m. on Friday, June 11, 2021. A link and password will be sent to students in advance, which you can share with family and friends.
Will a recording be available to watch later?
Yes, we anticipate that a recording of the full ceremony will be available following the live ceremony broadcast.
How do I send in my information and photos?
An RSVP survey will be sent to all graduates by mid-April. Complete this survey no later than midnight on Sunday, May 16, 2021.