Current Students

Counseling services

There are many counseling resources available to students through the University of Washington and the UW School of Nursing. Students are highly encouraged to take advantage of the services offered as many of these are provided with no additional fees.

UW School of Nursing Mental Health Counseling

TeResa Regan, PhD

The School of Nursing provides individual counseling, group counseling, workshops, mindfulness meditation, and referral resources to currently enrolled SoN students. Confidential counseling services are provided by a licensed mental health counselor. There is no charge for counseling sessions.

To schedule an appointment email:

Campus resources

Assault and violence

Options for victims of sexual assault and relationship violence

Conduct constituting a sexual offense, sexual harassment, relationship violence, stalking, unwanted advances, indecent exposure or any other incident of a sexual nature that creates a hostile environment (subjective to the person[s] affected) will not be tolerated. Students committing sexual or physical offenses in any form can be prosecuted under the Washington State Criminal Code (Title 9A RCW) and/or disciplined under the Student Conduct Code (WAC 478-120) and through the Residential Life Conduct Process.

If you are a victim of sexual harassment, you should notify your Resident Adviser (RA) immediately so they can provide assistance and connect you with additional resources. If you are the victim of sexual assault, there are resources available on and off campus to help you. Some of your options are:

Call 911

If you are assaulted on campus, the UW Police Department (UWPD) will work with you to explore your options. If you are assaulted off-campus, Seattle Police will take your report. Reporting incidents to the police is encouraged regardless of the availability of evidence. You may request that your personal information on the report be kept confidential. In some cases under Washington state law, the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office may choose to file charges and pursue prosecution without your consent.

Seek medical attention

Not all injuries are readily apparent, and while the best evidence is obtained immediately after an incident, forensic evidence may be collected up to 72 hours later. Tests to detect sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy may be performed, and emergency contraception may be made available. Additionally, if you suspect that you were given a sedating substance, a urine test can be performed up to 72 hours following ingestion.

Call a friend

Call a friend or someone else you trust for support.

Call the Sexual Assault and Relationship Violence Information Service (SARIS)

SARIS is a free, confidential and nonjudgmental service for students, which offers a secure place to obtain referrals and other information about sexual assault and to report sexual assaults anonymously. Staffed by specially trained Sexual Assault Resource Specialists, SARIS connects victims and survivors with the services they need.

For referrals and information any time of the day or night:

SARIS, 109 Elm Hall
Phone: 206.685.HELP (4357)

Call the Counseling Center

Psychologists and counselors are available all year to work with currently enrolled students.

Counseling Center, 401 Schmitz Hall
Phone: 206.543.1240

Call UW SafeCampus

If you’re concerned about potential violence, contact this hotline for students, faculty, and/or staff to report threats, or to seek advice and/or counseling.

UW SafeCampus
Phone: 206.685.SAFE

Mental Health and wellness


UW Mental Health Resources


Phone: 206.543.5030

Services include individual and couples counseling and therapy, crisis counseling and intervention, medication evaluation and management, group therapy and support groups, campus outreach services, mindfulness meditation, and after-hours care. Also featured is the Let’s Talk program, where UW students can connect with experienced counselors without an appointment.

Additional resources

My Student Support


Phone: 1.866.743.7732

UW has partnered with My SSP to give students access to real-time, confidential mental health and crisis intervention support,  24/7 and in multiple languages. They also have an online chat feature on their website, or through their iOS, Google, or Android mobile apps.

Health & Wellness


Phone: 206.543.6085

Health & Wellness is a department in Student Life. We work with students to support their academic careers by building relationships and plans for success. Health & Wellness also works with faculty and staff as well as families developing individualized care plans and intervention strategies for students who may be struggling for a variety of reasons. In addition to offering general support for students, the following programs and services are available through Health and Wellness: The Suicide Intervention Program, Sexual Assault, Relationship Violence, Stalking, and Harassment Intervention and Education, and Alcohol and other Drugs Education. Health & Wellness is a free service and works with all UW students. We are located in Elm Hall on West Campus. We are open five days a week during normal business hours.

Crisis Connections


  • Information/Referrals: 206.461.3200
  • Outside Seattle: 1.800.621.INFO
  • Emotional Crisis: 206.461.3222
  • Outside Seattle: 1.800.244.5767

The Crisis Clinic provides 24-hour emergency assistance over the telephone for persons in emotional crisis-or any overwhelming distress, threats of violence, thoughts of suicide, or family troubles. They also provide a community information line and referral service.

Counseling Center

Phone: 206.543.1240

The Counseling Center is staffed by psychologists and mental health counselors who provide brief counseling, assessment, referral and crisis intervention services to currently-enrolled UW students.  There is no charge for most of our services. To schedule an initial appointment, please call the Counseling Center at 206.543.1240 or stop by the Center at 401 Schmitz Hall.

Office of Minority Affairs & Diversity

Phone: 206.543.7132

The Office of Minority Affairs and Diversity offers multi-ethnic counselors providing academic and career counseling, as well as, self-assessment tests. OMAD ACS is dedicated to supporting academic excellence and undergraduate student achievement at the UW. OMAD ACS offers one-to-one advising and assistance to UW students, particularly students from low-income families, students who will be the first in their family to graduate from a four-year college, and underrepresented minority students.

Substance abuse

A note about Washington State marijuana legalization

A voter approved initiative (I-502) regarding the legalization of marijuana in Washington State took effect on December 6, 2012. The passage of this law does not lessen the UW’s obligation to uphold the federal law which classifies marijuana as a Schedule 1 Controlled Substance. As a recipient of federal funding, the University will continue to prohibit the use and/or possession of marijuana on campus, including all University-managed residence halls and apartments.

Alcohol and drug education

Phone: 206.543.7259

Health and Wellness provides educational programs, consultation and resource referrals around alcohol and other drugs, combining evidence-based intervention and prevention practices to support the campus community.

For more information, contact Health and Wellness at livewell@uw.eduor 206.543.6085. If you would like to schedule a presentation on alcohol or other drugs please contact Dr. Jason Kilmer at 206.543.7259 or email him

Resources for addiction recovery support

UW substance abuse policies

Marijuana fact sheet